Play with the Earthquake Simulator
- What is an earthquake?
- What causes an earthquake?
- Describe plate tectonics?
- What is a transform fault? Draw a picture.
- Give a geographical example of a transform-fault.
Where do earthquakes take place?
- Describe the job of a seismologist.
- What is the yearly average frequency of Major Earthquakes? Is this number rising?
- How many people died in the Tangshan, China earthquake?
- What was the deadliest US earthquake? How many people died?
- Describe 2 other recent or historic earthquakes.
Learn how to measure and predict earthquakes:
- How are earthquakes measured and detected?
- Describe some monitoring instruments.
- What is the focal depth of an earthquake?
- What is the epicenter of an earthquake?
- Draw a diagram of an earthquake.
- Find the date, magnitude & location of the 5 most recent earthquakes. Use real-time earthquake data:
Learn ways to protect lives from the damaging effects of earthquakes:
- What is earthquake engineering?
- What are direct damaging effects of earthquakes?
- What are the indirect damaging effects of earthquakes?
- What is a magneto-rheological (MR) fluid?
- How can MR fluids be used as a protection from earthquakes?