Syndicated from http://www.nytimes.com/pages/science/index.html.
NY Times – Science
- The Kilogram Is Dead. Long Live the Kilogram! - After a vote (and a century of research), the standard measure for mass is redefined, and the long reign of Le Grand K is ended.
- Trilobites: Hurricane Harvey Passed Over, but These Fish Kept Making Babies - Underwater audio recordings rescued from Hurricane Harvey showed that the urge to spawn was more powerful than a category 4 storm.
- Trilobites: Ice Age Asteroid Crater Discovered Beneath Greenland Glacier - It is the first impact crater discovered under one of Earth’s ice sheets, according to the scientists who found it.
- Trilobites: Campi Flegrei Volcano’s Ancient Cycle Seems to End in Large Eruption - The Italian volcanic giant has been curiously eruption-free since 1538. New research unspooled 60,000 years of its history with an eye on what it will do in the future.
- Trilobites: Why Komodo Dragons Haven’t Conquered the World - The razor-toothed predators are fierce, but scientists found that they’re real homebodies.
- Trilobites: Male Insect Fertility Plummets After Heat Waves - Researchers say that temperature’s effects on sperm production could be one factor behind the decline in the world’s insect populations.
- A ‘Time Capsule’ for Scientists, Courtesy of Peter the Great - A Russian zoological museum filled with centuries-old specimens finds renewed relevance in the age of genetics.
- In Brazil, Animals Cross a Road of No Return - Highway BR-262 is among the deadliest in the world for wildlife. Biologist Wagner Fischer has been monitoring its grim toll for more than two decades.
- Rocket Lab’s Modest Launch Is Giant Leap for Small Rocket Business - The company’s Electron rocket carried a batch of small commercial satellites from a launchpad in New Zealand, a harbinger of a major transformation to the space business.
- Masks, Purifiers and Other Steps to Reduce the Harmful Effects of California’s Smoke - Here are some ways to stay healthy amid the smoke and smog from California’s wildfires.